About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Monday review - the 2012 Oscars

Not the very best of years for the Oscars - but very good. Cirque de Soleil (more Canadian content) was fabulous, Billy Crystal was entertaining, some beautiful women and even more beautiful men - and, surprisingly and delightfully, no Jack Nicholson sitting in the front row with some sweet young thing.

I'd seen many of the movies, which made it a challenge - when I haven't seen any, I guess, based on what I've heard or read and probably do better than I did last night.

Last night, I went with my heart - I think The Artist is the best movie I've seen (and I've seen a whole lot of movies) in maybe five years. It was terrific, smart and sexy, and a whole new concept. The acting was terrific, the sound, the look, the feel of it - and it won a lot of the gold I thought it should. And all those French guys - so beautiful, so enthusiastic and exuberant - brought the Oscars to a new and very entertaining level.

I was delighted that Christopher Plummer - who I love - won best supporting actor. He's deserved an Oscar for years - maybe as far back as The Sound of Music - and at 82 he looks pretty darn good.

Other than that? I was disappointed that Woody Allen won for what I thought was a terrible, cliche-ridden script - okay, I was more than disappointed, I was pissed right off.

But other than that disgrace? I was pretty happy with the results and I liked the show. I'll definitely watch it again next year - though I have to admit that's a given. I've rarely missed it and I don't think I've missed it once in the past 20 years.

Here's my one Oscar tip - go to youtube and watch The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore - it won the Best Animated Short and it's amazing.

Hurray for the movies!

Kate



No comments: