About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Talking about heroes...

I'd like to tell you about one of my heroes - my friend Rosemary Phillips. I had dinner with her on Saturday night and this is the view out of her window.

She's an amazing woman. Somewhere in her mid-80s, she embraces life in a way much younger women have forgotten how to do. When her husband of over 50 years, Bill, died about 10 years ago, she decided she was going to do something she'd always aspired to - she was going to write a book.

And in the past ten years Rosemary has written many books. She works through all kinds of things - the death of her beloved cat, health problems of many kinds, difficulties with room-mates. The two things that are consistent in Rosemary's life are her social life and her writing. She always, no matter what, makes room for both of them.

A few years ago, after many submissions and just as many rejections, Rosemary did what many, much younger writers have only just recently figured out. She realized that if she waited for that "yes, we love your book and want to publish it" letter, she might never get published. And she decided to self publish long before the current self publishing boom. She's published many books since then, she's sold them to friends and family, but also to libraries in Vancouver. She does public readings and she always wows the audience with her charm, her straightforward English personality, and her grace.

Now she's decided to take on the ebook revolution and is planning shortly to publish several of her titles as ebooks. This woman rocks!

She's a delight and an inspiration. She cooks for her friends, throws parties whenever there's the slightest reason to, everyone in her large apartment building loves and looks after her. She has a network of friends that is impossible to equal. All of those reasons make it impossible not to love her.

But she's my hero because she writes through anything, through everything. She's an amazing woman and I'm so glad I got to know her.

Kate

P.S. Don't forget to join my alter ego, Josee Renard, for prizes and fun on Friday, June 24 for the #pussycat party on Twitter.

No comments: