About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Movie review - Disney's African Cats

I'm going to start by saying that I've seen all three of DisneyNature's Earth Day movies, starting with Earth, which I loved. For some reason, Oceans wasn't as exciting for me, but I loved African Cats.

Samuel L. Jackson has a terrific voice and it's hard not to be enthralled by the combination of the amazing photography and the story he tells about a lioness and her cub and a cheetah and her five cubs.

It has warmth and fear and pain. It sentimentalizes these stories of motherhood but it doesn't pull any punches about the reality of their lives, nor that of their cubs. It has everything a good story should have.

But for me? The thing that blows me away is the photography. I spent most of the time wondering how they got so close. There's a scene where you actually feel like you're a magnifying glass looking at the hair of one of the cats. How do they do that?

I know, I know - it's all about lenses and blinds and whatever. But to me, it's a miracle.

The one thing I would recommend? Don't see it at home no matter how big your big screen TV is. I'm pretty sure that's the reason I wasn't blown away by Oceans - I saw it on my big screen TV at home.

Kate

No comments: