About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day


I LOVED this movie! It was funny and smart and poignant, the characters were great and it starred Frances McDormand. I know it had bad reviews but any movie with Frances McDormand in it can't be bad. Plus, the clothes were gorgeous, the music was lovely, and it also had Ciaran Hinds in it. Any movie with Ciaran Hinds can't be bad, either.

It had a very art deco kind of feel to it - appropriate because it was set in the late 30s in London. The night clubs and stores and flats all had fabulous furniture and fittings - in fact, I wanted to live in Delysia's flat.

It begins as a typical British romping comedy - you know the kind I mean. Trying to hide one man while another's at the door, then another one when that one's in another room. That part is funny, but it soon settles into an exploration of love and what's more important - love or money or fame?

Miss Pettigrew (Frances McDormand), a minister's daughter, gets a job amongst the ever so racy theatre crowd. Her common sense and moral compass grounds and changes everyone around her during the course of the day. She, too, is changed by the experience, becoming less judgmental and more open to new experiences.

It's a delightful film and well worth watching. I'll see it again.

Kate

No comments: