About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Monday, April 21, 2008

Sunday Run



This is what I saw outside my window yesterday morning.

One of my favorite things about living where I do is that there's always something happening outside my door. Fireworks, parades, marathons and fun runs. Events like the Fool's Day event and the Pride party.

Yesterday was the annual Sun Run - although I have to say that they've been doing it for over 20 years and yesterday was the coldest day so even though it was sunny, it wasn't very nice out. It was 36 degrees (1 degree Celsius for you Canadian) when the race began at 8:00. Ouch. The winner (who was from Kenya) said he'd never run in such cold temperatures before and that he never planned to do so again.

44,000 people crossed the finish line after 10 kilometres of walking or running or rolling. Pretty exciting, huh? When you think about it, that's the size of a big town or a small city. It's an amazing thing to watch - I'm always fascinated by the numbers and shapes of people who actually do this. I probably wouldn't, mostly because it's way too big a crowd for me. But I love to watch it.

The next big event is the Vancouver Marathon, then the Pride parade, then the Festival of Lights fireworks. I'm probably missing a couple of things on the list but I love them all.

Some people who live in the neighborhood complain about the noise - but we're talking about a total of 7 or 8 days a year. We get all this free entertainment and we don't even have to leave our apartments - from my perspective absolutely nothing to complain about.

Kate

No comments: