About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Monday movie review - Star Trek (2009)

Okay, I admit it, I turned this on by accident. I'm not a huge fan of remakes (or at least not generally) and I'm not a huge fan of prequels (which for some reason, I thought this was, and it was - though only sort of).

But I've got to tell you - I was so blown away by the first ten minutes that I watched the whole movie. And I enjoyed it. The first ten minutes (as often with J.J. Abrams as the director) were absolutely brilliant.

They got me invested in the characters, they made me cry, they were gorgeous as well as brilliantly written and directed.

And then the next scene? I expected it to be a letdown, and it wasn't.

Now, maybe the whole movie wasn't as good as the first scene, but it held up pretty darn well. I'm glad I watched it. I'm glad that the love story was not at all what I expected. I was delighted to get to know the characters I've known for so many years (in the middle of their careers and at the very end of them) at such an early stage in their lives and relationships. It all worked for me, and I can only hope that I have more such lucky accidents.

And I can only hope that you do as well.

Kate

No comments: