About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Monday, February 06, 2012

Monday review - Monsieur Lazhar

I'm working my way through the Oscar movies - and as this is the Canadian contribution to the foreign film award, I thought I should see it.

It was a terrific movie, sad and uplifting and politically engrossing. Monsieur Lazhar is a refugee from Algeria. He has come to Quebec without his family and becomes a teacher in a small school because the teacher before him committed suicide.

Fellad, the actor who plays the main character, is amazing. Able to convey his sorrow, his discomfort with the new world in which he finds himself, his reawakening joy in life, with only the slightest of gestures, of facial expressions - he's an actor I'm going to watch.

We live in a world where we're always encountering people from elsewhere, where we're struggling to understand their lives and their emotions and this movie helps us to see - at least partially - how it feels to be a stranger in a strange land.

But even more than that, it deals in basic human emotions - both Monsieur Lazhar's and the children he teaches and helps to heal.

You'll definitely want to see this one.

Kate

No comments: