About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The art of connections - Kate Braid and Glenn Gould

Just recently, I met with one of my favorite poets - Kate Braid. I've enjoyed her work for many years, ever since I discovered her first book, Covering Rough Ground, about her time as a journeywoman carpenter. We grew up in the same neighborhood, had similar experiences as young woman, and she's a terrific poet. I was hooked.

This week, I was looking for something else on my poetry shelves, got distracted, and instead of what I was looking for, pulled down my copy of A Well-Mannered Storm, The Glenn Gould Poems.



I'm a huge fan of Glenn Gould, often playing his version of the Goldberg variations when I'm writing. Like much of Bach, I find these variations both stimulating and relaxing, the perfect combination for me to write to. So once I'd picked up the book, I then took out my CD of Gould playing the Goldberg Variations and read the poems (for the second or third time) and listened to the CD (for maybe the thousandth time?) and have now found a perfect connection.

I'm not sure why I didn't do this earlier - put these two works of art together, but now that I have? I'll do it always.

Kate

No comments: