About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The art of the ballad - Etta James

The brilliant and lovely and troubled Etta James died on January 20, 2012. And even though I've never seen her live, she's been a big part of my life...

Perhaps especially her signature song, At Last. Her version was released in 1961 and I'm pretty sure I've been listening to it ever since then. Etta and Elvis and Patsy - those are the voices I remember from my childhood, those are the songs I turn to when I'm sad or when I'm happy.

At Last (written by Mack Gordon and Harry Warren for a 1941 musical I've never heard of - Orchestra Wives) is one of those classic ballads - all about love and loss - with a beautiful melody which is enhanced by Etta's strong and soulful voice.

I play this song over and over and over again. Sometimes I'll play it four or five times in a row before I'm ready to move on to something else. Sometimes it's the only song I play.

If you've never heard it - go to youtube and check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsSS9VcMidA

Goodbye, Etta. You're gone but your voice will live on...

Kate

No comments: