About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Monday review - Grey Cup

I'm not reviewing the game - I didn't watch much of it because I had to be at the office for a couple of hours right in the middle of it, but the final score did favor the BC Lions :)

But I am reviewing the great fun we had wandering around downtown in the midst of the  Grey Cup party. People were so happy, so boisterous, so entertained by the crowds.
The best part, for me, was the fact that there were fans from all over the country - Stampeder fans from Calgary, Eskimo fans from Edmonton, piles and piles of Roughrider fans from Saskatchewan - definitely disproportionate numbers to the population of the province! Alouette fans from Montreal, hordes of Blue Bombers fans from Winnipeg and Lions fans from all over. Even a few Argo fans from Toronto and Ticat fans from Hamilton.

This is the joy of the Grey Cup for me - the fans come to watch to the game, to enjoy the show, both on the field and in the streets. They come from all over, bringing their families and friends and, occasionally, horses, and they just have fun. They have fun getting their faces painted - everyone from five to 80 lined up for face painting, just like they lined up to get their picture taken with the giant Grey Cup and to throw the football. They laughed and danced in front of the bands that played in the plaza and they cheered the game. 




Honestly? For me? It was the perfect way to spend a Sunday - and the sun came out after two days of absolute downpours. We showed everybody from the cold and wintry east that even at the end of November, Vancouver can shed the rain and show her warm and sunny self.

It was a great day.

Kate

No comments: