About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Friday, September 09, 2011

Friday five - five favorite book covers

I don't know about you, but I often do buy a book by its cover. I've blogged about Plain Kate by Erin Bow and the story of how I bought the book because I loved the cover (and the title, of course!). I'm not counting this as one of my favorites because I've already blogged about it but here it is for those of you who didn't read about it earlier...

Now I have to admit that some of the covers I love are personal - I love them because I love the book rather than the cover itself. And then there are covers I love just because.

I love this cover because it's the first book I had published - plus I think it's pretty beautiful whether or not I wrote it.




This cover I picked because, you guessed it, male torso. These are great covers and they're everywhere. I picked this one because Suzanne Brockmann is one of my favorite writers of romantic suspense and for me, all these naked male torsos are kind of the same. That's not to say I don't appreciate each and every one of them, because I do.






And then there's this cover from Pablo Neruda (okay, probably not from him because I suspect he was dead by the time this edition was published) that I love because the painting is perfect for the contents. Neruda is one of my favorite poets and this cover does justice to his work.








And there's Leonard. I could have picked a different cover but this one is not just a great photograph of Leonard, it's also a piece of art. This is a cover I would pick up even if I weren't a Leonard Cohen fan.










And last, but not least, there is Michael Ondaatje's cover for In the Skin of the Lion. This is the first edition cover of this book, and I chose it for this list because I heard Michael read from this book twice - once before it was published and once just as it was published. I bought the book at that second reading and it's one of my favorite books ever - even more than The English Patient (which is another one of my favorite books).



So what about you? How do you buy books? What are your favorite covers?

Kate

No comments: