About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Three days, three museums - Part 1 of 3 - The Bellevue Art Museum


I'm just back from a writing conference in Bellevue, Washington - and although I enjoyed the conference, I have to say that the very best part of the 5 days were the museums. Vancouver's museums, while interesting, aren't that big, so whatever's there, I've mostly seen.

So getting to spend hours and hours looking at art and exhibits I hadn't seen for probably a year, sometimes two, sometimes never, was a fabulous treat. I loved every minute of it and now I want to do that every weekend.

The first museum was the Bellevue Art Museum, aka BAM (and who could resist that title?). Sculpture, sculpture, sculpture. It was everywhere - in all kinds of forms - and it was all terrific.

Michael Cooper's sculpture - sinuous and seductive and kind of creepy at the same time - took fine wood and turned it into muscle bikes and guns as part of three-wheelers. Beautiful with an undertone of a frightening world.

And then there was Wanxin Zhang - amazing life size clay slab sculptures modelled after the terracotta warriors. Each of them so individual, so lifelike, I wanted to take one of them home.

And Cathy McLure - might give you a headache, especially the carousel, but it's fun and smart and beautiful.



Great museum, great art - great thoughts!

Kate

No comments: