About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Movie Review - I Am Number Four

I hesitated about seeing this movie - mostly because I really loved the trailers and was worried that it wouldn't live up to the previews I'd seen. Generally, movie trailers give you the best part of the movie and when you get to the theatre you've already seen all the good stuff.

But, although I hesitated, in the end I was willing to try this movie and I'm glad I did.  I loved the idea of it, enjoyed the acting, and, more than anything else, it felt like a smart movie to me - and there aren't enough of those. It was a bit dark but nicely shot.

What I will say against it is this (and before you say, oh, Kate, what's wrong with you? yes, I should have figured it out, because where are the other 6? obviously they're coming). It ends (like Lord of the Rings Parts 1 and 2 and unlike Harry Potter) in the middle of the story. There is a conclusion at the end of this story, but honestly? The ending felt a bit abrupt to me.

Like Lord of the Rings, you're left hanging a bit when this movie ends - they're off on the next part of the adventure but you have little idea who or where or what. With Harry Potter, because of each book being based on a single school year, there is a natural ending and beginning to each movie.

Nevertheless (I love using this word and rarely get the opportunity), this movie is definitely worth watching. I enjoyed watching Dianna Agron as someone other than Quinn Fabray in Glee and I liked Alex Pettyfer (who I don't think I've ever seen before).

Maybe this isn't the world's best movie, but it's worth watching.

Kate

No comments: