About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Friday food - the Arts Club Lounge

This week, on our way to The Arts Club Theatre on Granville Island to see A Closer Walk with Patsy Cline (and if you're interested in reading my blog about the play, check it out at http://www.joseerenard.wordpress.com/ ), we stopped at the Backstage Lounge aka the Arts Club Lounge.

I hadn't been there in a while and it really is a whole new experience. It's lost the grungy bar feel and looks and feels a whole more like an upscale lounge. White leather bar stools, black leather chairs for the tables and, as always, a lovely patio right under the Granville Street Bridge. The problem is, of course, Vancouver hasn't yet had summer so we sat inside.

The menu has changed - and we had terrific food. A roasted pear salad with a light and tasty ginger vinaigrette, together with a small round of chevre. We added the best Ahi tuna I've had in a long while. Cooked perfectly and served with raw fennel rounds, a few slices of pink grapefruit, it definitely made my evening.

My partner had a bellini for the very first time and kept saying to the waiter and the couple (from Reno and in Vancouver for the very first time) at the next table that it tasted great but it didn't have an alcohol. Both he and the man at the next table (who tried one after he'd seen the one on our table) didn't believe me or the waiter when we said, "No, just wait for it - you can't taste it, but I'll bet you feel it." They did. Luckily, they both stopped at two.

This bar/restaurant is going on my go-to list. The service was excellent, the food was top of the line, the prices (Bellinis always only $4) very reasonable. I had a glass of wine though I wasn't too impressed with their wine list - it might be that I just wasn't paying attention.

Try it. You'll like it.

Kate

No comments: