About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Wednesday, March 09, 2011

This is a story...

sort of.

The reason you haven't heard from me for the past week and a half is that I've been - not sick - but slightly incapacitated. I had surgery on February 25 - 12 days ago. Day surgery, but day surgery including slicing parts of my flesh (eeuwwww) and anesthetic. Nothing serious, nothing to worry about, but it's left me feeling not myself. Oddly, not too much pain, though definitely a whole lot of discomfort.

What's been interesting - and maybe this is true for everyone to whom this happens - is what I've learned from this. And I'm going to give you the benefit of my knowledge.

  • First, and perhaps most importantly, I've been an incredibly healthy person throughout my life and, even though I wasn't seriously ill, I was uncomfortable enough (and still am, a bit) to gain some slight understanding of what it must be to have an illness of any kind for a long time. I have the utmost of respect for people who live with an ongoing disability or illness. They are true heroes.
  • I've learned that I take my good health for granted. I'm going to stop doing that and will work harder at keeping myself healthy. More exercise, better food, and lots and lots (I don't have to work at this) of laughter.
  • Taking extra-strength Tylenol in serious dosages makes me feel queasy. I can do it for a week, but ouch - not for much longer.
  • I LOVE St. Paul's Hospital. It's a block and a half from my house and although it's very old and like moving around a maze - some parts of it are 70 or 80 years old - the staff make up for its age. I had amazing service, it was as good an experience as was possible - and I'm going to include St. Paul's in my charitable giving from here on out. Having a good looking and new hospital is nothing if the staff isn't topnotch.
  • My surgeon and his staff were also amazing. They were cheerful, kept me well-informed, are always available and they're people I'd be happy to know under any circumstances. I am fortunate to have asked around and got his name and even more fortunate that my GP and her nurse got me in to see him.
  • Audiobooks and books can save your life when you're feeling under the weather. TV occasionally, but books - of either kind - are fabulous.
  • Having a friend who will pick you up - even though it's only two blocks - and cab with you home, cook something for you, and stay with you for the evening is also crucial - and the right friend? Priceless.
I could go on and on, but these are at the top of my gratitude list from this experience.

Kate

No comments: