About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Eating out - a lot

I've eaten out a lot in the past week - mostly at places I didn't choose. That's not to say they weren't good, but it is to say that I didn't have much choice in them because they were meals that either were writing events or were around writing events.

But those two meals were actually very good - which isn't, as you know, always true when you have large groups of people eating at any restaurant.

Wednesday night was an event at the central library downtown. We generally (this is an annual event) meet beforehand for a drink and dinner at the restaurant closest to the library. It's noisy and the food is definitely pub food. The hotel it's in is very close to Rogers Arena so lots of hockey fans stay there or eat there. It was game night so it was busier (jam-packed and we had a short timeframe to get in and out) - and noisier - than usual.

I ordered a steak sandwich - which I often do because the steak is smaller than ordering a steak meal. I ordered my steak, as I always do, rare - and it came medium. I forgave them for that because of the hectic atmosphere (there were 16 of us at our table) and the hockey fans were packing the rest of the restaurant. The service was good and the steak, despite being overcooked, was also good. I gave Rosie's, in the difficult circumstances, an 8/10.



On Sunday, my local writing organization held our annual Valentine's Day brunch. We've been going to La Rustica for 4 or 5 years now and have always have more than adequate food and service and they open just for us on Sunday morning.

34 people sat down to lunch. The service was very good and the food - I had a salad, salmon (which was perfectly cooked and I'm picky about my seafood) and fresh fruit for dessert - was also good. I enjoy getting there once a year (it's a 45 minute drive from my house so it's not in my regular catchment area).

Two events, two restaurants, two better than adequate meals. Can't complain about that.

Kate

No comments: