About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Friday, November 05, 2010

Food - Curried Sweet Potato Stew

My friend Janet gave me this recipe and it's terrific. It's tasty and healthy and definitely worth making - with or without the chicken or turkey.

Kate







CURRIED SWEET POTATO STEW


2 med. sized onions, chopped
2-3 tsp curry powder - I used 1 pkg Asian Home Gourmet Red Curry
2 med sized carrots, diced
1/2 - 3/4 cup white wine (I used red)
1 bulb garlic, chopped
4 cups chicken/veg broth
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
2 tomatoes diced (or 1 cup canned, diced tomatoes)
3-4 bay leaves
1/4 cup brown lentils
1/2 tsp red chili flakes
1 cinnamon stick
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
juice of 1/2 or 1 whole lemon
2 med sized jewel yams, peeled and cubed
chopped cilantro and sour
cream to garnish

*** I added the ground chicken/turkey - it wasn't in the original

In olive oil, saute (the ground chicken if you're using - until no longer pink) then onion, carrot, ginger, chili flakes and curry powder/sauce - over medium heat, until soft (8-10 minutes). Add sweet potatoes - saute for 1 minute, mixing well. Add wine and simmer until almost evaporated, then stir in broth, tomatoes and lentils, bay leaves and cinnamon stick.

Simmer until lentils and sweet potatoes are tender - 30 minutes approx. Remove from heat and add lemon juice. (add salt if you think it needs - I didn't)

Serve and Garnish with cilantro and dollop of sour cream.

No comments: