About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Friday, October 01, 2010

There's something about diners...



That makes for a great meal. And Lucy's Diner - just opened this week - is a great choice if you're in the neighbourhood.

It's in Vancouver trendiest new neighbourhood - Mt. Pleasant. It's tiny, the price is definitely right, and it's open 24 hours a day. Every day.

The menu is definitely diner food. I had meatloaf and mashed potatoes and my friend Heather had a fried egg sandwich, both of which were very good - although the meatloaf wasn't quite as good as mine.

The music was terrific - 50s and 60s tunes - all of which we knew and we spent much of the time guessing who sang what. I figured I was pretty safe saying the Beatles, Hermans Hermits or the Turtles and I won a few guesses. Heather, of course, is much better than me at this game because she's a real music buff. I like it but don't study it.

This is the kind of restaurant you go to after moving (which is what I was helping Heather with), or after the bar, or after a light tea with a friend that's left you starving. You can go there in the morning, or the afternoon, or the evening, or the middle of the night. It's sure to have the kind of food you crave - friendly food that makes you think of your childhood. Comfort food.

I love diners. What about you?

Kate

No comments: