About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Does this happen to you?

I've had a frantically busy year - and not doing what I want to be doing, which is writing. I have managed writing, but I've had to cram it in around my day job.

My day job is generally somewhere around 2-3 days a week. The plan is that it should be two long days a week though I have to admit I seldom manage that for more than a month at a time. Something always comes up. This, normally, isn't too bad because I really like my day job - my 3 day jobs. I work at two different law offices and I teach 1 or 2 days every couple of months to junior paralegals. I enjoy all of these things.

But this year, everything came up and I've been working 6 or 7 days a week, 8-12 hours a day since April. Eeek!

This week is my last week of this schedule. I'm working Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday and then I'm on to my two day a week schedule. Sounds good, doesn't it? I should be delighted, I tell myself.

But the problem for me is that now that it's almost over, I'm done. Done in. Completely. I'm not interested in being at the day jobs (which I almost always enjoy), I just want to be doing all the things I've missed for the past 6 months. I resent these last 4 days.

It's kind of like changing jobs or going on vacation. You're okay until the last few days and then you just want it to be over.

I want this be over and so I have to be careful that I don't get cranky or pissed off or angry or that I don't let my resentment show. I truly do love these jobs. They get me out of the house to meet with people face to face. They pay me extremely well which helps fund my shoe addiction and I like the work I do. I don't have to think it up, so it's easy and entertaining.

This week? I hate it all.

How about you?

Kate

No comments: