About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Friday, September 25, 2009

Friday book review - Suzanne Brockmann's HOT PURSUIT


Suzanne Brockmann is one of the few writers I buy in hardcover - that's because I've never once been disappointed by her books and because I read them over and over again.
Because I write women's fiction - not suspense - one of the things I read a lot when I'm writing is romantic suspense. It's a great escape for me, something so different from what I write that I don't find myself falling into the language or the story or the characters in my own writing. I do, however, fall into these stories.
They're not just incredibly fast-paced, they're also layered and complex, many stories woven into one. In some of the earlier books, this layering included stories set in the past and those stories were woven in so neatly that I never got jolted out of the story when moving from one plotline to another.
This book stays in the present - but it works for me. In fact, I'm just waiting for a couple of weeks to pass before I read it again!
What's it about? I don't want to spoil the plot for you but once again it involves the world of the Troubleshooters - this time mostly Sam and Alyssa, together with some Navy SEALS and a woman politician. This book is set in New York, one of my favourite cities. Of course Jules and Robin make an appearance - but the main characters are Danny Gillman (Zanella's arch-nemesis) and Jenn - who works for the politician. Oh, yeah, and a murderer - The Dentist - who wants to kidnap, torture and kill Alyssa.
I loved every minute of it - and can hardly wait until I get a chance to read it again.
Kate

No comments: