About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Cherry blossoms




I took this photograph the day of the opening of the cherry blossom festival - music, cherry blossoms, and it wasn't even raining! At least for this one moment.

We're lucky in Vancouver to have a cherry blossom festival. It runs through most of the spring (check out their website at http://www.vancouvercherryblossomfestival.com/2008/) and tells you where to go to see the blossoms (we have something like 47 varietals of cherry trees in Vancouver) at any particular time.

One of the things I love most about spring is the blossoming of the cherry trees. I love the pale pink blossoms when they bloom and love them maybe even more when they fall. It feels as if the world is coated with a layer of pink snow - and it's NOT cold. Spring also includes - my favorite part of the festival - a haiku contest. I don't know about you but I love haiku. I love reading them and I love writing them. I'm one of those writers who likes the idea of structure - because that structure (of a haiku, or a short story, or a sonnet) gives you incredible freedom.

I'm not going to write you a cherry blossom haiku - mostly because the ones on the cherry blossom festival website are amazing - but I'll write you one right now about something else:

Rain falls without cease
torrents of April greyness
when is spring to come?

Okay, not great, but not bad for two minutes. One year when I knew I would have little time to write, I bought a big notebook and wrote a poem every single evening before I went to sleep. Many of those poems were haiku and I still love writing them and reading them.

Are you a closet (or an out of closet) poet? I'd like to be.


Kate






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am envious that you live in Vancouver and see contest haiku on the metro system!

Do you know Carole or Michael who judge the competition?

You might also like renga, I'm currently doing an renga via email with both of them.

all my best,

Alan

Kate Austin said...

Alan, no, I don't know either Carole or Michael but every year I think about doing a haiku for the contest. Maybe I'll try and remember to do it next year...

Kate