About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Neil Gaiman - AMERICAN GODS


I've read this book probably four or five times - maybe more - since it came out in 2001 or so. I spent yesterday, when I should have been working, reading it one more time.

It's one of those books that gets better with each re-reading. I love the characters. None of them are perfect, but you can't help but have sympathy for them, even when they're wrong. Even when they do terrible things. Gaiman is such a terrific writer that you can't help yourself - you fall for all of his characters.

The other thing for me is that this book really feels all about mythology and how important it is. How important simply believing in something really is. These gods from all over the world come to America with the waves of immigrants - Irish, Norse, English, Hindi, African, Egyptian, Eastern European, Asian, Native American, German - every kind of god you can think of comes to America. But as the communities of immigrants get assimilated, and forget their roots, so too are the gods forgotten and new gods rise in their stead.

These new gods - media and technology gods - want to take over the world. They want to be the only gods. So you can imagine what happens -
But what I love most about this book? These gods, these failing, unloved gods, are as human as we are. They want to be worshipped just like we do. They want to be part of someone's life just the way we do.

This book works on so many levels, the literal, the figurative, the metaphorical, the lyrical.

It's a wonderful read and I really envy those of you who haven't yet read it. I almost wish I could read it again for the very first time.

Kate

No comments: