About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont AND The Namesake

Okay, this doesn't happen very often but last week I saw not just one, but two great movies. I see a lot of movies and I often see a whole bunch of good movies in a row - but I can't remember ever seeing two GREAT movies in one week.

Even more interesting, both movies are made from very good books.

Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont was written by one of my favorite English writers - Elizabeth Taylor. No, not that Elizabeth Taylor. My favorite book of hers is At Mrs. Lippincott's, there's just something about that slow, intimate, personal kind of book I love.


Mrs. Palfrey stars Joan Plowright and Rupert Friend with a cast of entertaining and funny co-stars. It's a lovely, delicate movie about growing old and finding new friends. You might remember Rupert Friend from the new (and not so good) Pride & Prejudice - he's even better in this movie. If you want to see a beautifully crafted and written movie - I'd see this one.


The Namesake is from a book by Jhumpa Lahiri - another lovely book and is directed by Mira Nair - she of Monsoon Wedding, Mississippi Masala and Salaam Bombay among others. In some ways it has the same feel as Mrs. Palfrey - it's a family story, but this one moves around a lot more, beginning in India, moving to New York and then back to India. It also covers a lot more time, so it moves a lot faster.
But I think you'll enjoy them both. I did.
Kate

No comments: