About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Lee Child, The Hard Way



I have to thank my friend Mark for his recommendation of this book. He sent me an email a few weeks back saying he'd love this book - I mean, he said, just read this great first line:



Jack Reacher ordered espresso, double, no peel, no cube, foam cup, no china, and before it arrived at his table he saw a man's life change forever.



Well, I have to say that pretty much sold me on the book so I rushed out and bought it and read it in one sitting. It's a thriller set in New York with a little bit in England at the end. But that's not what works for me. It's a thriller but it moves at this slow, very subtle pace. Yes, it's exciting - I told you I read it in one sitting. Yes, there is lots going on - way more than enough. But the writing seems to be almost at odds with the action - and it's certainly done that way on purpose.


You know how people say if they've been in an accident or an incredibly stressful situation that time seems to slow right down? That's what this book feels like to me - it's as if Child has taken this idea and slowed the whole book right down, so the reader gets to savor every single moment. If you don't get what I mean, read that first sentence again. It doesn't move quickly, but it tells you an incredible amount about Jack Reacher, about his day, about the way he sees the world. And the anticipation? Out f this world.


You really need to read this book.


And the best news? I've never read him before and there are ten other Jack Reacher novels just waiting for me to read them. I'm lucky, aren't I?


Kate



No comments: