About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Friday, March 30, 2007

Spring in New York

I just got back from New York very very very early this morning - 2:30 a.m. Vancouver time to be exact -

Those of you who live in certain places in the east - Toronto, Chicago, New York, maybe a few other places - will understand when I tell you what happened. On Monday it was winter - cold enough for gloves and a scarf. On Tuesday, it was summer. 80 degrees and brilliantly sunny.

This never happens in Vancouver. The weather here moves gradually, even carefully, through the seasons. There's not all that much difference - except in the amount of rain - between fall and winter, between winter and spring, between spring and summer. It moves ponderously slowly, shifting at a snail's pace, so that you hardly notice that it's changed from winter to spring to summer to fall.

But New York? It shifts in a single moment - one minute winter, the next it's spring. It's astonishing to witness and I'm glad I was there to see it -

I love New York. Every piece of it. I spent some time in Little Italy, in the garment district, in a whole bunch of museums, just wandering the streets. I walked at least ten miles a day and a couple of those days even more. I rode in yellow taxis and subways. I had drinks with strangers from Ireland and California and New York.
I enjoyed some great art and wandered some great shopping streets.

I'll tell you more about it over the next few weeks, so stay posted.


Kate

No comments: