About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Daffodils



I saw my first blooming daffodil today and it got me thinking about Wordsworth - not my favorite of the Romantics, but I couldn't help thinking about:




when all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils...

But there are a few lines in a poem by Wordsworth that I love, a sonnet in fact - The World is Too Much with Us

The world is too much with us, late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers,
Little we see in Nature that is ours,
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
This Sea that bares her bosom to the moon,
The winds that will be howling at all hours,
And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers,
For this, for everything we are out of tune;
It moves us not.

There is something about these lines - not the turn at the end of the sonnet (which I've not included) - but these lines, that moves me. Because we are all now so busy, so scattered, so fractured that we seldom get the chance to spend the time just sitting on the beach, or enjoying the daffodils, the waves, the trees as they bloom in the spring or fade in the fall.

And when I think about these lines - which I often do - I try to remember to take at least a few minutes every single day to enjoy something. The clouds racing across the sky, the first daffodil of the season, the way the willow trees turn yellow before they turn green.

I hope you get a chance to do the same.

Kate

No comments: