About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Red, red wine


I love red wine - French reds to be precise. To be even more precise, I especially love Beaujolais Villages. It's a light, fruity wine made from the Gamay grape (unlike burgundies which are mostly from the pinot noir grape). Beaujolais wines don't last as long as the burgundies but they're eminently drinkable. They're a perfect mid-range wine and you can drink them with anything from fish to pizza to Kentucky Fried chicken. I do.


Today I stopped on my way home and picked up a bottle of Georges Duboeuf's Beajolais Villages. You know how you have a favorite brand of chocolate chip cookies or potato chips? Georges Duboeuf is my favorite producer of Beaujolais - his wines are always reliable and often far more than that - often they're exquisite. So I brought the bottle home, took out my corkscrew, picked up the bottle and to my dismay found I didn't need the corkscrew. Instead, the bottle opened with a twist of my hand - foiled by a screwtop. I have to admit that it scared me. But I poured a glass and it was as perfect as ever. First sip and I might have been in a small town in France, sitting in a cafe and drinking Beaujolais.


In the summer, I chill mine a little - not cold, but chilled. And then it's a perfect summer wine. What else can I say? Beaujolais Villages is the perfect wine. These wines are from one of the prettiest parts of France and grapes have been grown there since the 1st century when the Romans invaded Gaul and brought vines with them.


You can move up or down in price and quality with Beaujolais - down to Beaujolais, up to the crus of the region: Brouilly, Moulin a Vent, Fleurie, several more. These wines are much richer, darker, longer lasting - and definitely more expensive. I've tried all of them, either here or in France, and they're wonderful. My favorite? Fleurie.


Beaujolais Villages, though, always makes me dream of summer in France. It makes me think of fields of lavender and stone streets and outdoor cafes, sitting under the dappled shade of a few trees, eating jambon sandwiches and drinking wine. It makes me think of romance, of afternoon naps in a cool room with foot thick walls of thousand year old stones. It makes me fall in love.


What more could you ask of a wine?


Kate




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Online weight loss medications and programs are becoming very popular throughout the world with dietitians. However, not all programs of weight loss are created equal and some are even unnecessary.
Acomplia weight loss drug is an anorexic against obesity drugs. It is a cannabinoid receptor antagonist CB1. Acomplia Rimonabant has been found to stop the food enough to help people lose weight, and could also help reduce the urge other unhealthy as smoking.
Florinef weight loss drug is a corticosteroid used to help your body maintain the proper balance of water and minerals. Florinef pills can also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Hoodia weight loss medication is pure weight loss supplement. Do not be fooled by counterfeit products. Hoodia Gordonii More Hoodia comes directly from South Africa. Not Mexico, China or other so-called Hoodia exporting countries. More sales Hoodia Gordonii directly help the South African Bushmen tribes.

Anonymous said...

nice web...
Propecia

How Propecia works

Propecia precautions

Propecia instructions

Propecia side effects

Hair loss guide

Hair care handbook

Hair disorders

Hair loss articles