About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Monday, December 11, 2006

A Christmas Story


The other night my friend Sheri and I went to see A Christmas Story at the Arts Club Theatre on Granville Island. I took the ferry over and started the evening in the most gorgeous of ways. The lights are up all over the city and the darkness of False Creek just made them all gleam against the water beautifully. It was like traveling through a fairy-land.

A Christmas Story is one of my favorite holiday movies. It's funny and smart and the kids aren't anywhere near sweet at all. They're real kids, and I, like almost everyone else who loves this movie, am fascinated by the leg lamp and by the Red Ryder air rifle.

Well, this production of A Christmas Story has all that and more. The Arts Club Theatre is small and we were in Row E (6 or 7 rows from the stage). It felt like we were part of the action - part of the fun. The kids were amazing and I spent a lot of the time thinking about how talented they were so young. I don't have that kind of courage even now, let alone when I was six or ten or fourteen.


The sets were perfect, the two story house that turned into the outdoors, the school and the department store with a thirty foot high Santa sled.


It's definitely worth seeing. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie this season so I can compare the two.


Kate

1 comment:

Noneya said...

We watch this movie every Christmas Eve...the whole family. It's one of our traditions.

Sound like you saw a great production.
:)

Cheers,
Sandie