About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Mary Comber Miles

I came home this afternoon and found an invitation to an art gallery opening in my mailbox. It was for an exhibit of the work of Mary Comber Miles - work I love. She's spent most of her long life painting water color botanicals - flowers and plants in a precise elegant way that's distinctively her own.

These paintings remind me of those beautiful Victorian books of plants, faeries, architectural details, the amazing paintings of birds by Audobon. They feel timeless yet also of their time.

The exhibit opens next Wednesday and I'm going to be there. A whole room of perfectly detailed and accurate paintings and a chance to meet the artist. Who could resist?

Kate

No comments: