About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

George Gershwin's Porgy and Bess


George Gershwin is one of my favorite composers. I love An American in Paris mostly because of the music - it's fabulous. I own 7 or 8 CDs with Gershwin music. I have almost anyone you can think of singing or playing Gershwin but my favorite of all?

Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald playing and singing Porgy and Bess. It's one of my old standby CDs - it always make me feel better, I sing along at the top of my lungs and even at the top of my lungs, I'm not even close to where Ella's singing.

I've listened to that CD so many times I know every inflection of Ella's voice, every beat, every change in rhythm.

You know how if you listen to a CD long enough, you can anticipate what's coming? Remember those albums you listened to as a teenager that you got to know so well you could walk down the street and sing every single song, just as they were on the album?

That's how well I know this CD. I've owned it as an album, as a cassette tape and two copies of the CD. I often buy it to give as a gift to friends.

I've seen the opera of Porgy and Bess and it was amazing. Each time PBS has a Gershwin special I'm right there. I even love Gregory Hines and Mikhail Baryshnikov in White Nights (even though it's a terrible movie), but nothing stands up to this album.

Try it - you'll love it.

Kate

No comments: