About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Little Miss Sunshine


I got just home from seeing Little Miss Sunshine at my favorite theatre. Downtown Vancouver is only just getting into the 21st century in terms of movie going so we have two great theatre complexes now - Tinseltown and the Paramount - and I love going to Tinseltown. It's on the edge of Chinatown and often, when we've been to an afternoon movie, we'll wander down Pender Street through the lion arches into Chinatown for a little window shopping and some dinner. It's kind of a movie tradition -

Alan Arkin, Toni Colette, Greg Kinnear, Steve Carrell, a bright yellow VW bus, two great child actors - and a terrific script. It's a road trip movie, a family dynamic movie, it's sad and funny and amazingly enough, in the end, it's uplifting.

The acting is terrific but what worked most for me, I think, was the great writing, especially about the family. They fight all the time amongst themselves but the minute one of their own is threatened, they jump right in to protect them. And that's the way families work - at least at their best. And their worst. And that's what works in this movie - we see this family at both their best and their worst and we empathize - at least I did. It could have been my family, or yours, so you can't help but cringe and you can't help but smile.

This isn't a drop dead funny movie - which is how it's getting promoted - but it is definitely worth it. I'd see it.

Kate

No comments: