About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Friday, November 04, 2011

Honey crisp, ambrosia, fuji, gala

What do all these words have in common? They're one of my favorite things in the whole world and I look forward to the fall because they're all fresh...
I think we had two choices of apples when I was a kid - Red Delicious and Macintoshes. I can still remember eating Red Delicious apples as a kid and going ewwwww. I ate Macs but I was never a real apple fan.

And then, years later, there were Granny Smiths. It's hard to find a more beautiful apple - that lovely brilliant green is absolutely gorgeous. But just thinking about biting into one makes my mouth pucker up. Way too sour for me.

Apples weren't high on my list of fruits to eat but now? I'm addicted to apples - and for the last few years, I've been discovering more and more varieties that meet my particular addiction. I like them sweet and I like them crispy.

Food for me is all about texture so if an apple is mealy, I can't eat it.

But there are so many new varieties, so many wonderful possibilities. A few years ago, I was at Granville Island and someone handed me a slice of ambrosia - and that's exactly what it was. I fell in love and I've been eating them ever since. They're so sweet and so firm and so... perfect. Plus how could an apple have a better name?

But this year, I've discovered a new love. Honey crisps. That's them above. They're beautiful and they're wonderful. A little lighter, I think, than ambrosias, maybe a little juicier. And for some reason, they're everywhere.

I haven't forgotten my old love, but I've got a crush on honey crisps. It's like finding a new CD that you love and can't stop playing. It doesn't mean I've given up on ambrosias, just that, until I'm tired of this apple, I'm going to gorge myself on it.

What apples do you love?

Kate


1 comment:

Ruby said...

Have you tasted Pink Lady apples? They are ao good - crisp, sweet, with just the right amount of tang. Try one, I think you'll love it.