About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Jamie v. Cuisinart

Observe the simple knife sharpener in this photo - not much can go wrong, they last practically forever, AND THEY WORK.

I had occasion yesterday to purchase a new one. No, I didn't need a new one, but I had a friend who did, so off I go to the store.

They had two varieties of knife sharpeners - one made by Cuisinart, one made for Jamie Oliver's brand. I bet you can guess the rest of this story.

It's not that I'm cheap - I'm happy to spend the appropriate amount of money if necessary for an object where price equals quality. And, of course, perhaps that's true for knife sharpeners but you couldn't tell it by me.

Jamie's sharpener was more than twice the cost of the Cuisinart. The packaging was a little flashier but, honestly? They looked exactly the same to me inside the hardshell plastic cases. No hesitation on my part - I picked the Cuisinart and saved myself the price of a first-class glass of wine, a new journal, a paperback book or many other things I'd prefer to have.

When I got it home and took it from its package, it was lovely and shiny and new - but basically the same as the knife sharpener I've had for 20 years. For me, this is one of the things I'll probably never buy again and the inexpensive one is just as good as the other.

Kate

No comments: