About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Monday, August 29, 2011

Book review: The Elegance of the Hedgehog

I love books. I love hedgehogs. I love Paris. I love elegance. So, think I, when I see this book - and no, I hadn't read a single review about it, in fact, I'd never heard of it before I saw it in an airport bookstore - what could be better?

It's set in Paris. Check #1. It's a book. Check #2. It's got a hedgehog in the title. Check #3. It's got elegance in the title. Check #4.

So of course I bought it. But I'll tell you right up front that if I hadn't asked my book club to read it, I probably would have put it away about 2 chapters in. Now, I hope that I would have gone back to it eventually - but I can't guarantee it.

So right here is a huge thanks to my book club. I stuck with the book - nothing worse than showing up at book club and NOT having read a book you recommended - and another of couple of chapters in and I was hooked. Completely, utterly, absolutely hooked in a way I haven't been with a book for a very long time.

The writing is lovely (elegant, actually). The characters are fascinating and the story is engaging. This is a book that I didn't want to end - by the time I got to the last few chapters, I wanted it to go on forever.

That's the sign of a great book. Now I'm going to go back and buy her first book and I'll let you know what I think.

Buy this book or get it from the library. Stick with it - you're gonna love it.

Kate

No comments: