About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Friday, May 06, 2011

Does this happen to you?

I seem to go through spells - sometimes I'm a taste person, sometimes I'm a scent person, sometimes I'm a visual person.

Right now, I seem to be going through a visual stage. I'm busy buying wine not because I know it's good because I've had it or because I've read a review or because someone's recommended it to me or because the price is right. I'm busy buying wine because I love the labels.

Luckily, and it really is only luck, the three bottles I bought this week because of their labels are all good. How do I know this? Well, one I bought a few years ago because I fell in love with the label. In fact, I love all of his labels.

Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais (I more often buy the Beaujolais Villages). It's light and fruity though has more body than you might think. Lovely red, goes with everything - food or not - and is, if I remember, very reasonably priced.

Cycles Gladiator Syrah. I bought this because I fell in love with the goddess riding the bike. I had absolutely no idea about this wine (at least with the Beaujolais, I'd had it before). It's a California wine and I've been buying a lot more of them since my friends Lisa and Greg have been recommending them to me - though this one I found all by myself thanks to the goddess. It's full-bodied and pleasant, rich and velvety - definitely worth buying. And who could resist the label? Definitely not me when I'm in visual mode.

And then there was this 50s Italian movie star. Who could resist this label? She's drop dead gorgeous and I love the colours. I very seldom buy Italian wine and actually looked at this bottle half a dozen times before I fell completely under her spell. You have to check out her website - http://barberadavine.com/ - it's amazing. And she is - spicy and savoury and gorgeous! Nice drinkable wine and gorgeous art.



What about you? What buying mode are you in?

Kate

1 comment:

Lisa DiDio said...

Right now, I'm all about the fizz.

Vinho verde, prosecco, a nice, dry brut...if it has bubbles, I'm in!