About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Keep writing

I'm in the middle of writing a novella for Cobblestone called Winter Warming - a title I love. And I love the names of my characters - Jude Carmichael (this picture is of the Jude I've imagined - something I never do but have borrowed from my friend Lisa for this novella) and Rory Wellwood. I love the characters as much as their names.

But I have this terrible feeling that I've begun a novella that should really be a novel. I'm a quarter of the way into the story and I'm still not into the story. I can't change it now - it's due in a few days - and I'm contracted for a novella. So what am I going to do?

I'm going to do what I always do. Keep writing.

I don't often write about writing in this blog - I don't like talking about my process much - but this time I'm talking about it for two reasons. Mostly, it's because I'm avoiding writing. I love these characters, the town they live in, the problems they have and I want to spend more time with them. I'm going to be sorry to give them up and move onto something else.

And second? I'm having trouble moving ahead bevcause I really, really, really want this novella to be a novel. So what do I do?

I have no idea except to do what I always do - keep writing.

So that's what I'll do. Wish me luck.

Kate

No comments: