About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Windows 7 and Word 2010


Okay, I admit it. I made a terrible mistake. I talked to my computer guy Derek a few weeks ago and told him it was time for me to get a new computer. He asked a few questions - but he's built my last four computers so there weren't all that many of them. I told him I figured I was going to have to go to Windows 7 and I could probably live with that, but I forgot to tell him that I wasn't sure I could live with Word 2010, probably because I didn't even know there was such a thing.

He came in this morning and set it up for me. It looks great, it works fine, but ... and you know there are always buts when you change any kind of system. Doesn't matter whether it's a people system, a computer system, an accounting system - there are always glitches.

The trick, of course, it to change systems when you have time to play with the new one because that's the only way you can learn how to use it - at least it is for me. I hate reading manuals, I hate workshops - I learn by doing and so that's what I need to do. The problem is that I need to have time to do that and right now I really don't.

I've only been using these new programs - and my lovely lovely new computer - for a few hours and I really shouldn't complain. It will do the basic things I ask of it and it looks pretty darn good on my new desk. But it isn't what I'm used to and there are a few things that are driving me crazy. Yes, there are probably simple fixes for them. I just don't have time - or maybe it's the energy? - to deal with them right now.

Yes, yes, I understand that we're getting better at computing. No kidding. But when you find something that works for you, you really like to stick with it. Like the deoderant you love and the company changes it to lure in new buyers. Or the detergent. Or your favourite colour of lipstick. Or your favourite salad at your favourite fast food restaurant. I whine and complain when any of these things happens - occasionally, the new product is even better than the old one. But it's all about time for me. I don't want to spend time figuring out new things when the old ones work perfectly well.

I'd rather be reading a book or walking on the beach.

Kate


No comments: