About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Friday, October 08, 2010

Olives aren't just good for you...




They're one of the most sexy foods around. And I'm lucky enough to live in a city where I can get many types of olives, most of which I've never heard of.

I can go to a dozen or more stores - Greek ones, Middle Eastern ones, Jewish delis and organic grocery stores - and stand in front of a counter that contains 20 or 30 different kinds of olives of incredibly varied flavors, shapes, sizes and colors. They're gorgeous and I have, over the years, tried them all.

But I have my favourite - and that olive is the Kalamata, the lovely mahogany brown oval olives. I buy them from my favourite olive store (isn't it great that I can say I have a favourite olive store?) and I eat them like candy. I buy the pitted ones and occasionally, when I can't get to that store and have to settle for an inferior store, I will buy pitted ones but I'm not happy about it.

I put my Kalamatas in many things - from salads to sauces to that perfect bowl that sets off their gorgeous color and shape so I can eat them with (or without) my meal.

Yum yum yum. Just thinking about them makes me hungry.

Kate


No comments: