About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Kate's Rhubarb Cake



It's rhubarb season and this is my absolute favourite rhubarb recipe. I promise, you're gonna love it.

This is the only cake I make. I'm not a baker (I'm a good cook but a terrible baker) so if I can do it, so can you. I only make in rhubarb season and I usually only make it once because I love it so much I can eat the whole thing all by myself.





Preparation time:
1/2 hour after rhubarb is prepared.
Servings:
1 or many

Batter:
1/2 c. margarine
2 c. flour
1 egg
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. chopped rhubarb
1 tbsp. flour

Topping:
1/2 c. margarine
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. brown sugar (packed)

Rub margarine into sugar and cinnamon and set aside to sprinkle on cake top.
Cream margarine and sugar until smooth and creamy.Beat in egg and vanilla.Sift together floor, soda and salt.Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.Toss rhubarb with flour and mix gently into cake batter.Spoon into greased 13” by 9” pan.Smooth the surface.Sprinkle topping evenly over batter.
Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until the cake has risen and browned and comes away from pan sides. Top will be rich, dark brown and gooey with a wonderful cinnamon aroma.



Enjoy!
Kate

No comments: