About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Monday, September 21, 2009

Monday movie review - THE FIRM



I'm not a giant Tom Cruise fan nor a big fan of John Grisham so this movie had two strikes against it. But I am a huge fan of Sydney Pollack so, since it was on TV last night, I started to watch it. I soon realized that a whole bunch of my favourite actors were in it - Jeanne Tripplehorn, Holly Hunter, Ed Harris and, especially, David Strathairn.

So I watched it right the way through, even sat through the commercials I think mostly because of the terrific supporting cast. I've enjoyed other movies made from John Grisham's books and I'll add this one to the list. He writes great movies - though I'm not so passionate about his books.

The plot seemed more complicated and much less clear than it needed to be, Tom Cruise turned maybe a little too quickly from a greedy wannabe yuppie to a crusader for justice, there were a few obvious flaws, but in the end, it was worth watching.

For me, Holly Hunter and David Strathairn made the movie. I love both of them and they seldom take a wrong step in their characterizations.

I'm not giving it a two thumbs up, but if you're like me and you like any of these actors, it's a good Tuesday night movie in front of the TV.

Kate

No comments: