About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Memories

I had lunch today with a friend I hadn't seen in probably 25 years and it was a wonderful experience.

It was awkward at first, a little stiff and stilted, you know, doing the whole my kids and grandkids (not mine, but his) are doing this, but within a half hour it was as if we'd been having dinner or lunch together every week for that whole time we'd missed each other.

The best part? That he's still the man who saved my life when I was in my 20s, and I still really like him. A lot. Our lives have gone in separate directions - not a surprise, really - but he'll always be a friend of mine. Even if we don't see each other for another 25 years.

That's very satisfying, because sometimes you have friends who you grow away from. You might see them every week or every month or every year, but each time you see them you realize that they're not the people you cared about when you first met them. You try to ignore the fact that you're not really interested in them or that they drive you crazy - but, in the end, you can't and you have to give them up.

I'm more than delighted that I don't feel this way about him, I'm more than delighted to realize that if I met him today I would still like him, I would still want him as friend.

I'm a very fortunate woman.

Kate

No comments: