About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Hello kitty...



No, this blog isn't really about hello, kitty - the odd and weirdly wonderful cartoon character although it is - ever so slightly - inspired by her.

There is something quite satisfying about a perfectly crafted image - a few lines, a hint of color and voila! you've got something that's immediately recognizable and really quite beautiful.

Picasso was an expert at this. I know, I know, I can hear some of you saying - my five year old (child or self) could do that because you're thinking of those women with eyes on the sides of their heads or too many legs or breasts. But the reality? You couldn't. And nor could your five year old.

You might be able to replicate this lovely hello kitty image - it isn't that difficult. But I'd be willing to bet that it wouldn't happen right away unless you have a certain amount of drawing skill. I've taken a few art classes and I know (because I've spent the past 10 minutes trying) that I can't do it. I can get close, but I can't get there.

The thing about this - and about Picasso - is that the lines are effortless. The image is just what it's meant to be and it's perfect. I wish I could draw like this...

Kate






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Hello Kitty since I was a little girl. I even wish I could find cross stitch paterns of Hello Kitty. I seems kind of childish but, hey! It makes me feel young again.

Anonymous said...

Try visiting www.Sanriotown.com It has cool Hello Kitty Blogs and etc. :D

Beenznrice Illustration and Graphic Design said...

My grandmother owned a Hello Kitty store since before I was born. She died when I was 9 of cancer, so everytime I see Hello Kitty, it makes me think of her-this icon definitely holds deep sentimental meaning for me. Lovely post. Thank you! <3 Naomi

tiffany said...

with hello kitty my best cake

tiffany said...

wnet to the mall saw hello books

Anonymous said...

Yes Hello Kitty, is a very lighthearted creature, and fun to draw, (I just completed a project in Honors Algebra II, that I used Hello Kitty on) but the truth is the artist who imagined H.K. and then made it their reality was truly a great artist. It is very hard to freehand curved lines, if you are an amature. Art shouldn't be something that you just look at and say "oh that's nice" you should be able to feel what the artist was going through at that time. Lines, or even watercolor, art is created in the behoulders eyes. And beauty lies in the behoulder. Eleanor, 16.