About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Monday, July 09, 2007

Summer Dreams, redux



I posted about the dreams I have for a someday summer but this summer, my SUMMER DREAMS really did come true. It's an anthology with Stevi Mittman and Jennifer Greene and it's out in July. We decided to base our stories on a summer song title - and we had a lot of fun talking about it.

The three songs (and I suspect the three stories are as well though I can't promise 'cause I've only read my story) are as different as you can imagine. Eddie Cochran's Summertime Blues, the Beach Boys' Kokomo, and Brian Hyland's Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini. But they're all summer songs - songs that most of us have heard many times.

Summertime Blues (1958) has been covered by at least 50 bands (who knew?), everyone from Bruce Springsteen, the Who, Cheech Marin, Deborah Harry, Olivia Newton John and Van Halen. The version I remember is probably the original Eddie Cochran version.

Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini (1960) has also been covered by dozens of other people, but again, the one I remember is probably the Brian Hyland original.

As for Kokomo (1988), we all remember the Beach Boys' version, but I bet you didn't know that there is a town in Indiana called Kokomo. Jennifer Greene knew that.

Stevi, Jennifer and I had plenty of summer songs to choose from - but we ended up with these ones. I wonder what that says about us?

I guess you'll find out when you read the book.

Kate

No comments: