About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Monday, November 06, 2006

No one's reading this blog, are they?


No, not my blog, but Hank's blog from Corner Gas. Now, I know most of you won't be watching Corner Gas on Monday nights at 8:00 on CTV - because most of you aren't Canadian.

But Corner Gas - especially if you live in a small town anywhere in North America - is probably the funniest show I've ever seen. It's a half hour sitcom set in a tiny town in the prairies called Dog River. It's conceptualized and written by Brent Butt - a stand-up comic from a small town in Saskatchewan - and I promise, if you live in a small town, it's drop-dead funny.

The reason I'm blogging about this tonight is that tonight's episode was mostly about Hank's blog and how no one was reading it - Hank is totally incompetent and not too bright, but he's not too bright in a way that means he knows things (like the stock market, Ferraris and blogging) that no one else understands.

Corner Gas is run by Brent and Wanda - Wanda's a genius, knows everything about everything, Brent's a guy's guy. Brent's dad and mom haven't got along for years, Lacey - from the big city of Toronto - inherited her aunt's diner and has turned it, according to Hank, into some kind of big city gay bar - because there's art on the walls. The RCMP are represented by Davis - not too bright, but sweet as pie, and Karen, blonde and smart in some ways, and way not too bright in others. Neither of them really understand how the law works, but in Dog River (with a population of less than 500), it really doesn't matter.

I love this show - partly because I love the prairies and watching Corner Gas means I get to see those big big skies, and partly because the humor's perfect small town humor. It's about the pot luck at the community center and why somebody always brings the napkins and doesn't do the main course. It's about the new ATM in town. It's about the small town baseball league and how everyone in Dog River spits when they speak the name of the town up the road.

So this week, Hank- who's the only person in town who's really computer literate - starts a blog. And no one reads it. So they pass around cheat sheets so the rest of the town can pretend that they've read Hank's blog.

I love it. Makes me realize what fun blogs can be. They don't have to be serious, they can be, like Hank's blog - simply musings. Here's the link for Hank's blog if you're interested http://www.cornergas.com/content/?7/

He's a very funny guy. And it's a very funny show.

Kate

2 comments:

Feynman and Coulter's Love Child said...

Aha! I knew I couldn't be the only person blogging about this!

Kate Austin said...

I'm not a mathematician - I'm right brain rather than left - but I love Richard Feynman. And who's the Coulter? And I checked out your blog - that's great - I'm glad I'm not the only person who loves Corner Gas.

Kate