About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Monday, September 04, 2006

A Perfect Day

It was the perfect day here today - sunny and warm with a lovely breeze off the water. I walked on the Seawall this morning before it got too hot, then spent the afternoon reading - Scholarly Magics by Carolyn Stevermer. She combines two of my favorite subjects - Victorian life and magic - in a way I find very satisfying. Yes, it's an alternate universe, but it works for me.

It's amazing how many books I enjoy that do that same thing.

One of my favorites this past year was Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell by Susanna Clark - a huge book, but I couldn't put it down. I loved the footnotes (which many people hated), I loved the fact that it was long and detailed and dense. I loved the characters and the setting and the magic.

Mercedes Lackey has a series of books set in the Victorian world - my favorite, I think, is The Fire Rose, but I like all those Victorian books.

Mary Jo Putney also has a series of books that are set in a magical England and I've enjoyed all of those, as well.

Charles Dickens might as well have included magic in his books - they're full of characters and magical moments - maybe that's why I like these particular books so well. Thanks to Mr. Dickens - who convinced me that magic was possible, even if it wasn't explicit, magic was implicit in his world and I believed in it. Without question.

Kate

No comments: