About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Bon Cop, Bad Cop


Patrick Huard - I don't know whether he's the good cop or the bad cop, but he's definitely the gorgeous cop.





I saw a movie today that made me think about cultural differences. This is a Canadian movie - and I suspect that it's a movie that won't travel well. The jokes are Canadian jokes - specifically, jokes about Toronto versus Montreal, about English versus French. Part of the movie is your traditional buddy movie - think of The Odd Couple or that movie with Kurt Russell and Sylvester Stallone Tango & Cash. That part of the movie will translate - it's universal.

But the part of the movie that made me think about cultural differences and specificities is the absolutely Canadian-ness of the jokes about the differences between the two cultures. The movie shifts from French to English without stop, both characters speak both languages, and both characters have beliefs about the other culture which had blown apart as the movie progresses.

One of the other things that is joked about a great deal in this movie - which is one of the few things that is both French and English in Canada - is hockey. And I suspect that's because so many people believe that this is one thing we all agree on. We don't agree on teams but we do agree on hockey.

I loved this movie - laughed all the way through it - but I hesitated to blog about it because most of you, not being Canadian, wouldn't get it. How could you? You didn't grow up with these jokes, with these differences. But I wish somehow that you could see the movie and understand it and enjoy it the way I did.

Kate

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Being Canadian, I groaned when I saw the ad for this movie, but now you've made me wonder if it's worth watching :)

Hope you got your ms out the door... although, I'm so envious that one day you can have 30 pages to write and the next day you're mailing it off!

Stephanie Bose (one of ML's clients -- I met you briefly in Atlanta. Hope all is well with you: )
www.stephaniebose.blogspot.com

Kate Austin said...

Hi, Stephanie - yes, I did the mss. out the door. The last thirty pages are often both easy and difficult for me - for the same reason. The resolution is by this point irrevocable and I don't really want to write it - I like the mystery of not knowing what's going to happen.

As for Bon Cop, Bad Cop - it's pretty corny but it's also pretty darn funny.

I bet you'll enjoy it. I'm off to check out your blog right now.

Kate