About Me

My photo
I live on the ocean, write women's fiction, love to read so much that it's an addiction rather than a hobby (I read an average of a book a day). I live on the wet west coast so it's a good thing that I like to walk in the rain.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Addictions

Okay, I admit it - I, like almost everyone in the world, have addictions. I'm not addicted to alcohol or smoking or even sex, but I am addicted to reading. I'm addicted to writing. And I'm addicted to the ocean.

Those three are my main - absolutely-can't-do-without - addictions but I do have a few minor ones as well. I'm addicted to art and salt and music. And I'm passionate about travel and sushi and Indian food, great wine, single malt scotch and martinis.

I think addictions are like all of our needs - remember Maslow's hierarchy of human needs that we all learned in first year psychology or sociology? - there are some we can't live without and are uncontrollable, and some that we can control - at least a little.

But, as Oscar Wilde said, I can resist everything except temptation - and there are many more things that tempt me and I try not to resist too many of them. I think, at the end of the day (or at the end of our lives), we only regret the things that we don't do, the people we don't tell how much we love them, the risks we don't take.

Many of the quotes I have in my house have to do with the taking of risks:

Do one thing every day that scares you - Eleanor Roosevelt

Everything is sweetened by risk - Alexander Smith

The best way to be in control is to give up control - anonymous

because I want to keep reminding myself that the more I do, the more things I try, the more risks I take, the better my life will be.

Kate

No comments: